WW2 FLEET PACK CONTAINING 2 BATTLESHIPS, 3 CRUISERS, 12 DESTROYERS & 3 SUBMARINES
Code - 3MARG2
Description - ARGENTINIAN NAVY OF WORLD WAR 2
N8501a, MORENO Launched 1911 , 27,720 tons Speed 22 ½ knots Armament 12 x 12",12 x 6", 4 x 3" AA, 4 x 40mm, Torpedo Tubes 2 x 21", Armour 11" Belt, 3" Deck Sister RIVADAVIA
N8532, VEINTICINCO DE MAYO Launched 1929 6,800 tons Speed 32 knots Armament 6 x 7.5", 12 x 3.9", 6 x 40mm, Torpedo Tubes 6 x 21", Armour 2 ¾ " Belt, 1" Deck, Sister, ALMIRANTE BROWN ,
N8531, LA ARGENTINA, Launched 1937, 6,500 tons Speed 30 knots Armament 6 x 6",4 x 75mm,4 x25mm, 6 x 21", 3" Sides 2" Deck
N8454, CERVANTES Launched 1925, 1522 tons, Speed 36 knots Armament 5 x 4.7",1x3", 4 x MG , Torpedo Tubes 6 x 21",
Sisters JUAN DE GARRAY, MENDOZA, LA RIOJA, TUCUMAN.
N8551, BUENOS AIRES, Launched 1937, 1375 tons, Speed 35 ½ knots Armament 4 x 4.7", 8 x 2pdr, Torpedo Tubes 8 x 21",
Sisters CORRIENTES, ENTRE RIOS, MISSIONES, SAN JUAN, SAN LUIS , SANTA CRUZ,
N8561, SANTA FE, Launched 1931, 775 tons/920 tons Speed 17 ½ knots/9 knots , Armament 1 x 4", 1 x 37mm, 8 x 21" torpedo tubes, 4 bow, 4 stern
Sisters SANTIAGO DEL ESTERO, & SALTA.
2 BATTLESHIPS, 3, CRUISERS, 12 DESTROYERS, 3, SUBMARINES.
By the end of the first world war the Argentinean fleet, apart from its two Dreadnought Battleships, was completely obsolete. In the mid 1920's the Argentinean Government embarked on a major program to rejuvenate the fleet, commencing with the modernisation of the Rivdavia and Moreno. Two modern Churucca class destroyers were then bought from the Spanish navy, with three similar vessels (known as the Mendoza class) being built in England. Both of these classes were based closely on the British Scott class leaders. The two Heavy cruisers were then built for them in Italy. These vessels were cut down versions of the Italian Trento class and heavily criticised in the naval press of the time. However, the Argentine Navy appeared to be pleased with them, and they both remained with the fleet for nearly 30 years. The first three submarines for the Navy were also purchased from Italian yards at this time, after strong competition from French yards. The final pre-war purchases were all made from British Yards and included the training cruiser La Argentina together with seven British "G" class destroyers. The cruiser was a modified version of the British Arethusa class, but mounting triple 6" gun turrets rather than twins, and having additional accommodation for cadets. The destroyers were standard British "inter-war" destroyers, and differed only in that they retained the second funnel at its full height, whereas on British vessels this was cut down at an early stage.
Like many of the South American Navies, the Argentines held on to obsolete vessels long after the end of their useful lives, sometimes using them as training vessels. and many of these still existed in 1939. However, the Naval programmes between the wars ensured that by the start of World War Two the active fleet shown above was both modern and adequate to hold her own against any of the other South American Navies.